Advertisements
 

New Shelving

06/01/2016

Jason and I had been talking for some time about a bigger shelving unit or built-in shelving in our living room to make better use of the large wall space. (Tons of ideas on his Shelving Units Pinterest board here.) After looking at a lot of pre-made and vintage options, as well as contacting a subcontractor, Jason ultimately decided to tackle this project himself. In one of my nesting moods, I started emptying everything off of the bookshelf (it’s from IKEA, many years ago, called ENETRI) and made room for it in the den/playroom. I was craving more storage for toys in the play area.

Before:

IMG_1884 IMG_1885

After:

IMG_2775 IMG_1924

I’m really happy with how it turned out. We still need to do some arranging on the living room shelves and we need a boat load of bookends so all our books aren’t stacked horizontally.

People often ask us how we keep our living room so clean. Here’s the answer: the toys all stay in the playroom and in the kids’ rooms. Organization is my jam. Every bin in the playroom has a specific purpose and I purge and rotate toys fairly often. We use the living room for sitting, resting, reading and occasionally watching TV. It’s mostly an adult room. I spend the most time here in the morning for an hour before the kids wake up for my quiet time and during their afternoon naps when I need to put my feet up for a few minutes.

signature

Advertisements

Mission Accomplished: It’s a Dresser

03/18/2013

IMG_1648

My big goal for this weekend was to find a dresser for the bedroom our future foster kids will stay in. Eventually, I’d like to add a beautiful vintage dresser but for now we just needed any dresser. I found this specimen for $22.99 at a thrift store in our neighborhood. I spent about 3 hours repairing, sanding and painting it. I spent another $12 on handles and hardware. It’s not big but it will work for now. I painted it the same color green as the little 2 drawer nightstand I painted a couple years ago for our first kids’ room that’s now in Ali’s room. Eventually they may end up in the same room. So here’s my wonky little weekend DIY project, before:

IMG_1603

And after:

IMG_1650

 

I need to call our case worker to double-check but I believe all of our requirements to reopen our home as foster parents are now met. BIG SIGH!

Related posts:

Preparing for Foster Kids: Bedroom Tour (the 1st time)

New Home Tour: Nursery (Alianna’s Room)

Room to Grow: Making a Bedroom for Foster Kids (the 2nd time)