A little over a month ago I mentioned a master bedroom redesign we’re planning. Well we’ve made a little progress.
1. We got this amazing 3-in-1 down comforter from IKEA. Seriously, I don’t know why I’ve been sleeping without a down comforter all my life. It’s like heaven: fluffy and airy like a cloud but so warm and snuggly. This smart design has two layers. A thin one for warmer seasons and thicker one for cool weather. The two layers snap together to make one extra warm blanket for cold weather.
2. The new comforter necessitated a duvet cover. While I was at IKEA I found a light gray (almost white but just enough color to not look dirty all the time) cover with a nice texture. I’m dreaming of a clean, white room but I don’t want it to feel unfinished or clinical. Light gray was a nice compromise. This is not the first time Jason and I have made significant purchases from IKEA together by me texting him photos and asking for his opinion. I love technology. (Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, Jase!)
3. And of course, a new duvet cover and comforter beg for the company of new sheets. My only insistance for new sheets was that they had to have a pattern of some kind. Our last several sets have been solid color and the pillow cases and sheets always get discolored in the areas where they’re in frequent contact with hair product and skin oils. And a high thread count is always nice. I suggested orange and white striped sheets (though I couldn’t actually find them anywhere.) Jason wanted dark gray sheets. We ended up finding a set at Target with a gray tasteful retro-modern pattern. Another perfect compromise.
4. Our bed is white. Except that it’s kind of off white. Guess what – next to a clean, crisp light gray off white just looks like dirty white. So now we have our beautiful new bedding on a dirty white bed. Hmm… not sure how to solve that one without getting a new bed. Which is not out of the question…just out of the budget right now. Also, the walls need painted. Next time we’re at the hardware store I’m going to grab a bunch of paint swatches. I’m still leaning towards white or light gray (with orange accents) but with the dirty white bed still in the picture, I’m not really sure what to do! A soft, light taupe white maybe?
5. (Number 4 wasn’t really any progress. Just rambling about what needs to be done. What are these bullet points supposed to be anyway?) We did get one more thing for the bedroom so far: A piece of metal wall art. (Blue cardboard packaging behind it.) I’m pretty excited about it although I’m not sure yet how and where it’s going to work with my furniture arrangement ideas. Goal of furniture arrangement: get rid of shelf behind the bed, add nightstands and an area rug. Is that too much to ask from my small asymmetrical master bedroom?