A while back Jason and I found this trench coat at the thrift store. It’s a vintage boys coat actually. A BIG boy’s coat. We knew it didn’t fit quite right but I was dreading the alteration project because I wasn’t sure where to start. I’ve altered pants (slimming the legs or bringing up the hem.) but never a complex jacket. Like the pose? He wanted to emphasize that he felt like a bum wearing the baggy, long trench coat.
After a little research in the form of a Google image search, we decided it was too long. It needed to hit above the knee. (Though you can find plenty of longer mens trench coats, too.) Even these coats were a little too long for Jason’s taste. After snipping off 10″ or so and sewing the hem, we realized it was still too wide. I took in the seam in the middle of the back (not so much that I’d have to redo any of the work across the shoulders), made the sleeves narrower and shorter, and removed the bottom button and closed up the button hole.
At this length it is probably more of a pea coat than a trench coat. All that matters to me is that Jason likes it. It was cheap, it’s vintage and now it fits great. Of course, as soon as I was done he started looking through the other coats in the closet to see what else I could make more fitted.