Advertisements

A Typical Evening

I imagine other people have typical evenings like this: come home from work, eat dinner together, watch some TV, go to bed.

I’m not sure if Jason and I have EVER had an evening like that. We’re always running around doing this or that … working late, running to the hardware store or grocery store, doing freelance graphic design or music recording projects. Sometimes we eat dinner together but it’s often at 8 or 9. And maybe one night a week we catch up on our favorite shows through Hulu (24, The Office, Modern Family). Our wind-down-relax time rarely starts before 11pm.

The other night I was thinking about what a “typical” night looks like for us and I decided to snap a picture of what we were both doing right before our late dinner break.

Jason was installing a new bowl sink in the guest bathroom. The teal glass one was pretty but impractical – it has about 7 chips in after 3 years. (Only one of which was made by Jason or me.)

I was cutting and packaging wedding invitation orders for my etsy shop.

Will we ever have simple evenings and neat-and-tidy lives? Probably not. That’s why I’m one good beach vacation away from a quarter life crisis.

Advertisements

7 Responses to A Typical Evening

1. scott says:

was that bath tile reglazed? if so, who did it? wanting to have that done in hall bath in home in inglewood. thanks.

2. SusanV says:

Oh Martina, it will ALL change when you have your babies! 🙂 Not that that’s a bad thing. I kinda love the downtime that comes with having children who need naps and bedtimes.

• mahlbrandt says:

Susan, I think all the time – “What are we going to do when we have kids?! Our lives are already so hectic!” I guess when you have a baby you drop everything else (maternity leave?) and then gradually start adding things back in until there’s no more room. We’ll find out when it happens I guess! 🙂

3. Amy says:

as long as josh keeps working his current job, we’ll have dinner after 830 at least 4x a week…and he doesn’t get out of work until 8, so i really need to find some sort of productive hobby to do while i wait for him!

• mahlbrandt says:

Hey, I know … you could have a baby! 😉 Kidding. Just had it on my mind after reading/replying to Susan’s comment. No pressure – enjoy being a married couple for as long as you want!

4. SusanV says:

You’ll find a way to make it work! Things will change & shift to allow it. My sister has 2 young boys, a full-time job plus a per diem contract job & her husband works 50 hrs a week too. They eat dinner at 8pm even with kids! (and… thank goodness for my parents being close by her! don’t tell her I said that.)