Advertisements

Salem Biscayne China {a MCM thrift store find}

I’ll never forget the first mid-century modern treasure Jason and I bought. We debated about whether or not we should pay $2 for a random platter and were surprised months later when we discover it was worth $50 and a legitimate collectible. A few months later we hit the mid-century antique furniture jackpot with our American by Martinsville end tables and coffee table.

A couple of weeks ago we struck gold again. Out on a leisurely thrift store stroll, we came across a set of mid-century modern dishes. What made this lightly used china so special was the size of the set. We couldn’t believe it: 9 teacups, 9 saucers, salt & pepper shakers, creamer, sugar bowl, gravy bowl, serving platter, serving bowl (not pictured), 6 dinner plates, 6 dessert plates, 6 cereal bowls and 6 small bowls.

Even though the price was amazing, I wasn’t sure I liked the pattern enough to own these so we walked out. (Not a big flower pattern fan.) As I suspected, after some googling a couple days later I regretted my decision and my wonderful husband went back to the place and scooped them up.

I can’t believe we almost missed out on these. Thank God for second chances. We’re thrilled with this Salem Biscayne china, especially after discovering it’s worth 6-10x what we paid for it—not that we plan on selling.

Advertisements

10 Responses to Salem Biscayne China {a MCM thrift store find}

1. renata Moore says:

Absolutely beautiful!!! Love it, good thing you didn’t pass on it.

2. Tara UB says:

I just got the same set from my Mom’s house. There is glassware to match! My glassware had been boxed up since 1968 and the plates since 1981. There is also flatware to go with it.

It’s also funny as my husband and I follow your blog as we live in an MCM in Indy. I hadn’t checked the blog in the last couple weeks and was doing a Salem Biscayne search.

• mahlbrandt says:

How funny! I’m glad you were able to get it from your mom – even better when it’s a family heirloom! I’ve seen the glassware on Replacements.com and suggested to Jason that maybe we should get the glasses sometime. I’m hoping we’ll come across some at a thrift store or estate sale someday.

3. Amy says:

these are beautiful!

4. lushpad says:

How great is it to find such a complete set in perfect condition!

5. This is one gorgeous set, in great condition!! I would love to come across a set like this (as would many others). Great find!

6. Megan T says:

Do you put yours in the dishwasher? I’m thinking about getting a complete set from a family member, but not sure I want to use them as my every day dishes.

7. Lisa says:

I am not supposed to know but my daughter, son, and husband just found a complete set of Biscayne including glassware and bought it for me for my birthday which isn’t until April. But I was born in 1962 and this was our family’s everyday dishes from the time I can remember until after I was married and my parents moved to a country Sears Catalog Home and my mom started collecting bona-fide antiques to go with the style of that home. By that time most of her glassware had been broken but the rest had been through over a 60 years of non-stop everyday use and dishwasher cleaning and still looked great. When Mom’s house was broken up my niece got Mom’s Biscayne and I hope to help her fill her set out with gifts through the years. But the memories and nostalgia of my own set will be precious to me. We currently use Salem Maple Leaf as our everyday dishes as autumn is my favorite time of year but it will be nice to have a change.